Buzzards Roost trail is one of the best trails from Millerton Lake in Madera county. In fact, that’s the only trail to a perfect scenic view. The trail is inside the North Shore Campground and there is a park entrance fee of ten dollars. Buzzards Roost trail starts right off the road. However, parking will be off the road.
The difficulty of this trail is moderate to strenuous. I’m giving this trail a 4 out of 5. Let me break down the level’s of difficulty.
- 1 – easy (straight trail, no rocky hills or bumps)
- 2 – easy to moderate ( straight trail with little bolder and hills)
- 3 – moderate (curvy trail and straight trail with little bolder/stair step)
- 4 – moderate to strenuous (moderate curvy trail with little bolder step with steep trail)
- 5 – strenuous (very curvy trail with very steep trail to many bolder steps)
This trail is steep to hike to begin with. I was out of breath when I hiked up 20 steps. So, imagine hiking up the trail. Boy, the hike was worth the beautiful view. Buzzards Roost is 0.6 miles to the destination. When you turn back, the whole trail is about 1.2 miles. The elevation starting was 643 ft and to the end of my destination was 1155 ft elevation. It took me 45 mins to complete this trail.
At the top of the mountain, the view was beautiful. I can see Sky Harbor Road and the massive lake. I recommend taking this trail during spring because there is a small waterfall to see but it was dry. Overall, the hike going down was the best, but make sure to stretch your legs.
Click here to download and print the trail map. (I don’t own the map. It is the link to the state site.)
Follow me on instagram @melanie.s_hiking